I have a confession to make. When it comes to famous people I get very star struck. Even as a grown man who knows there are more important things in life than famous people I can’t help myself. Recently, I was eating dinner with some friends and we saw Drew Barrymore. We had a small table where two of the guys were waiting while me and another friend were looking for a bigger table. We found one so I go over to the others and grab our drinks to move. A woman behind me says, “Are you sure we can have this table? Are you sure?”
I turn around and tell her its cool because we got another table. She says thanks. On our way over to our new table I tell my friend, “Hey doesn’t she look like a shorter and skinnier Drew Barrymore? She actually sounds like her too!” As we are talking, we all realize that she was Drew. We all kick ourselves for being stupid and not getting a picture or acknowledging her awesomeness.
After dinner, Drew graciously takes a picture with us and we start talking about all the famous people we met or saw in person. Below is my list…
1. The Cast of Dexter. My wife and I love the show Dexter on Showtime. One day at church our favorite character on the show attends. I tried hard to not be lame but I had to say hi and express that I was a fan. He was really cool and didn’t care that I was acting like a teenage girl talking to the Jonas Brothers. I end up doing his wedding and got to meet the whole cast. Being the lame person I am I go up to them calling them by their character’s name. My wife and I were in the elevator at the reception with Michael Hall (Dexter), Jennifer Carpenter (played Emily Rose in the Exorcism of Emily Rose), and Desmond Harrington. I shake Michael’s hand and say, “Hey you’re Dexter.” He says, “My name is Michael.” In my mind I am thinking, “Ok Dexter.” We even saw Julie Benz however I didn’t have the guts to go up to her. She is just as pretty in real life as she is on the show. Plus my wife was with me so I didn’t want to be a perv. Later that night I got a chance to meet Rex Lee who plays Lloyd on Entourage. I was so giddy I went up and said, “Hi Lloyd!” He said, “My name is Rex.” No joke, I called him Lloyd three more times. I am such a loser.
2. Magic Johnson. When I was in high school I went to UCLA to play basketball at the Pauley Pavilion. It was 1992 and Magic was getting ready to head over to Barcelona for the olympics and the first Dream Team. We get asked to step off the court and I see my childhood idol right next to me. I almost fainted. I asked him for an autograph. He asked me to wait till after practice. During his pick up game I yelled, “I got winner.” They all rolled their eyes. So did I get the autograph? NO! We had to meet some friends at Century City and back then there were no beepers or cell phones. You actually had to honor your commitments. Damn you Tim Rupeiks! It was for you man.
3. Jerry West. For those of you who don’t know who this amazing man is. He is the NBA logo. No joke. Same day I met Magic, I met the man, the myth, the legend…Mr. Logo.
4. Fred Savage. I was a sophomore in high school playing on the JV team. We had a game against Brentwood High and after our game we were watching the varsity guys. I saw Fred so I walked over and sat next to him. I loved The Wonder Years. When I saw him it was when he was still little and cute. Not the grown up weird version. Nice kid. Shy. You could tell he really didn’t enjoy talking to me.
5. Alicia Silverstone. When I was in college my friend had a project where he needed to take some photos of Los Angeles. We drove around taking shots of the city. We ended up near the club Roxy and walk around. Out comes Alicia. We ask if we could take a picture and she says yes because she is so drunk. She was super cute.
6. Shaq. Back in the day two of my friends, Jerry and J.J., would get us court side tickets to Clipper games. COURT SIDE!!! Can you imagine as a kid what kind of treat this was. When Shaq was playing with Orlando I went up to him at half time when he was walking back onto the court. I said good luck and he shook my hand. I couldn’t believe it. The Shaq Daddy. Earlier that day before the game during shoot around I saw Penny Hardaway. Wished him good luck and he looked at me, shook his head, with a stupid smile like he was too good for me.
7. Other Clipper Games…Reggie Miller fell on my lap. One game we sat next to Kadeem Hardison and Darryl Bell. Unless you watched tv in the early 90’s you won’t know who they are. They are from the show A Different World which was a spinoff of The Cosby Show. Funny dudes.
8. Courtney Cox. When my wife and I were dating we went to the Santa Monica Pier. They were filming Scream 3. We asked to take a picture and she was totally cool. We lost the picture.
9. Tom Hanks. My freshman year at SC they were filming Forrest Gump. I saw Tom and said hi. He smiled and acknowledged my awesomeness. I asked some working crew guy what they were filming. I am not 100% sure but think he said Forrest Gump. Funny thing is that I walked away thinking, “What a lame title.”
10. John Cho. This is the guy who is Harold in Harold and Kumar. He is also the Asian dude in Star Trek. My friend and I were eating at a restaurant where there was only bar seating for those without a reservation. He was sitting right next to me. I thought he was Japanese so I turn to my friend and say in Korean, “Wow. He is really little!” My friend whispers into my ear, “He is Korean dude.” I don’t believe him so he grabs my phone and shows me the imbd site for this guy. John…my bad.
11. Paris Hilton. When we first started our church, it was small enough we could have a bowling outing where if everyone came we would only need two lanes. Well we go to Lucky Strike and a couple of lanes over is Paris Hilton. We almost get kicked out because our church folks were acting like paparazzi taking flash photos.
12. Jay Leno. One day I was eating at Cafe Luna on Melrose in college. Great place. I don’t think it is around any more. Well I was comin out and Jay was doing J-Walking interviews. I got to say hi but he was busy.
13. Other notables…Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins at Craft Restaurant. Ted Danson at Gladstone’s in Malibu. Madeline Stowe and Vince Vaughn at Mozza. Tony Shalhoub (monk) at Jerry’s Deli. James Lee (Ando on the NBC show Heroes) at our church and wedding mentioned in #1.
I know for most people this is a lame blog entry but as I said earlier I get star struck. I can’t help it.